Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Let's Make Kombucha!

I started making my own kombucha a while ago and my life has changed for the better. :) I went from forking out $3-4 a bottle to about 10-12 cents a bottle for this healthy elixir! I have also received about 4 different emails from friends asking me how I make it. So here are the basics for making Kombucha:

Kombucha
-6 tea bags (organic black or green tea is best. Never use herbal when making kombucha as it can become rancid)
-1 cup sugar (a lot of people like more but I like 1 cup)
-1 scoby (kombucha mushroom-you can order these or produce your own from purchasing a pure bottle of kombucha and letting the "mushroom" grow for a week or two)
-around 1 gallon of purified water (preferably not from a plastic bottle)
-1 gallon glass jar
-1 large stainless steel pot


In the stainless steel pot, bring the water to a full boil and slowly add sugar, stirring until dissolved for a few minutes. Turn off heat and add the tea bags, letting them steep for 10-20 minutes depending on how strong you like it. I've heard of a lot of people steeping for 10 minutes but this last batch I let steep for closer to 20 and I think I like it better. Remove teabags and let the brew cool completely.

Add the scoby and brew to a large gallon glass jar. Cover with cheesecloth and a rubberband to allow "breathing". Place the jar in a dark room temp. cupboard and let the magic begin. :) Check the kombucha at 10 days, 15 days and then 20 days. You know it's ready when you have a good scoby growing on the top and it is effervescent(kombucha is a bit bubbly and fizzy). When it's cooler in the house it may take a bit longer to ferment than if the house is warmer.I find that adding a bit of grape juice is my current favorite way to drink Kombucha!


Here is my current batch just a couple days from perfection!

Notice the older scoby floating in the jar and the new scoby forming on top. Also notice the bubbling at the top. Almost done!
There are different variations in making Kombucha, this is just how I've been making it. Anyone want to share their kombucha making tips?
*Be sure to sterilize all pots and jars. Kombucha should be made in very sanitary conditions to avoid contamination*

5 comments:

Stubborn Hope said...

We love kombucha! My kids think it's soda! mwwahaha!
anyway, i make it a little differently...we use 8 bags or 8 teaspoons of tea...lately my favorite is peach green tea. I have done it also with orange pekoe mostly, though and that's really good too. my recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups sugar, but otherwise we make it about the same way. depending on the weather, we might stop brewing around 8-10 days.

i just ordered bulk tea from frontier and i can't wait to make kombucha with it! we got rooibos and raspberry green tea! yum!

Blog Shmog said...

Emily, I use the orange pekoe tea as well. I like it. I'll have to try the peach green. I forgot to mention you can use green tea but not herbal tea. Also I should add that if it's warmer the brew time is usually shorter and if it's colder the brew time can be longer. Time to edit...

Stubborn Hope said...

details, details! :)
i wonder if rooibos would be considered herbal? i think it's called a brown tea...naturally decaf? do you think it'll work?

Blog Shmog said...

Emily, I don't think Rooibos is herbal. From what I've read in the past it is a natural decaf black tea...and really good for you! Also, do you know if white tea is okay to use? It's super good for you too but I haven't read anything on using white...

Stubborn Hope said...

i don't know about white...i'll look into it!