Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Treating The Common Cold

As the cold season is creeping up on us I thought I would write out the typical routine we use for treating a cold. If you have any other great ideas please add them!

1. Echinacea-Jesse and I take a strong tincture and the girls take a mild sweet echinacea blend a few times a day while sick.

2. Olive oil and garlic-If the girls ears seem to be infected I warm up olive oil and garlic just a little. Let it cool and put a few drops of the oil in each of their ears. Seal with a bit of cotton and let it sit in there for a while. Take the cotton out and most of the oil has already been soaked up by it. The oil and garlic combo is good for fighting infection and drawing it out of the ear. Garlic is also great to ingest while sick. Chop some up finely and add to applesauce.

3. Peroxide-Jesse and I will put about 3 drops of this in each of our ears allowing it to sit in each one for a while. If there is bubbling and cracking we let it sit in the ear until it stops, as it is killing the infection off. If it doesn't bubble much at all we just dump it out of the ear. If there is bubbling we will do this about 3 times a day until it stops.

4. Gargling-Whisky. Not kidding. Jesse will drink it to help his throat but it makes me want to throw up. So I just gargle. If you get a strong enough Echinacea you can use this to gargle too.

5. Probiotics-We take daily anyway but these should help the immune system.

6. Essential oils-We mostly use eucalyptus, lavender and tea tree oil when sick. We will rub a couple drops into the bottom of our feet. This helps the oil go directly into the blood stream and up through the body. For younger children, use eucalyptus radiata. This is what it was called in Switzerland so it may be called something a bit different here in the states. Just want to point out that little people need a specific type of eucalyptus as some are too strong for them. Also, dilute it with coconut or olive oil before rubbing into their body. It's very potent stuff. Lavender is also great. I prefer the smell so I will sometimes rub a couple drops directly onto my neck if I have a sore throat. Of course adding about 5 drops of oil to a warm bath is great too.

7. Raw Honey-First of all never eat pastuerized honey if you can help it! It's pure sugar. But raw honey has great healing properities to it and is highly recommended (in small doses) as a treatment for infection. Feels great on it's own when you have a sore throat or add to a nice tea.

8. Broth- A good homemade broth actually is helpful in healing your body when sick. Go here for real healing broth recipes.

We do other stuff randomly but these are the most consistent things we do. Here's to hoping we will have a healthy winter. So far so good...

8 comments:

Stubborn Hope said...

Wow! WONDERFUL ideas! I love it all! We love raw honey and essential oils and eccinacea! One other thing we do is that we take Vit. C in the form of a whole food supplement like acerola cherries. Radient Life makes a quality brand. We take quite a few a day when we start to feel sick, but since the body can only use so much at a time, we take it a few times spread over the course of a day.

Blog Shmog said...

Hey Emily, thanks for the Vit. C info. I've actually been looking into a natural Vit. C and haven't found one I like yet, so this is helpful. I'll check it out!

Carine said...

OK. I need to look into all that some. I need to tell you my whole baking soda, making your own everything laundry detergent, shampoo, rinse and so on...
I do need to get more proactive about keeping us healthy. What brands do you take of echinacea. I bought the little gummy bears for the kids.
And I give it to them 3 times a week.
Anyway... it gives me a bit of a vertigo to read all this and try to take it all in.

Blog Shmog said...

Hey Carine! For some reason I'm just seeing this. I would love to hear about your homemade cleaning!!
As for the echinacea, Jesse and I use 1st Sneeze organic echinacea and the girls use Herbs For Kids sweet echinacea. I don't know anything about the gummy bears. Are those vitamins?

Stubborn Hope said...

Oops. Joy, I got our brand of Vit. C wrong. It's called Radience C by Synergy, I think. Not Radient Life...I was confused. I think Radient Life makes vit/supplements though!
We are just getting through our first cold of the year and I hope it's not an indicator of what winter will be like!

Stubborn Hope said...

oh and I don't know if you follow my blog but I just did a similar post about natural remedies...I put a link to yours in the blog...hope that's ok. Let me know if it's not.

Stubborn Hope said...

Grrr...I'm annoying myself here. But I did just find out that the Radiance C IS from Radiant Life. Sorry. I got confused when looking at my bottle. Did I mention I have a cold this week? :)

Heidi Klopfenstein said...

Thanks again! I will be using many of these tips and things to cure Josh's cold! Just wanted to let you know that this site has been very helpful :).